The Blackboard by Chef Michel

The Blackboard by Chef Michel
5F The Podium, 18 ADB Avenue, Ortigas Center
Mandaluyong City
11:00AM to 10:00PM Monday to Sunday
  
2 Ways to Eat Your Heart Out:

1) Continental Buffet ALL YOU CAN!
The Best of World Cuisine for only P714 nett.
BLACKLIST Card holders pay only P518 nett.
KIDS (aged 12 & below) EAT FREE!
Inclusive of Bottomless Iced Tea
2) MIX & MATCH Buffet:
PAY PER SERVING
For your choice of Soup, Salad, Main Course, Side Dish and Dessert.
Per serving of Soup – P75 nett
Per serving of Salad – P75 nett
Per serving of Side Dish – P50 nett
Per serving of Main Course – P150 nett
Per 3 servings of Dessert – P50 nett

C'est magnifique!

The Blackboard is definitely one of the best restaurants here in Manila. Yes, it is a little bit expensive but it is definitely worth it. What can I say, I really love this place because the food is truly magnificent. It will tickle your palate and caress your senses. That is what really makes it very different from the rest. My friend Melissa had only one thing to say: It is like dining in a five-star restaurant/hotel. I couldn’t agree more but I have more to say, all good of course.


The Blackboard (and of course Chef Michel) stands out from the many restaurants around is the food. The food here stimulates in a way like no other. In many restaurants, especially if the food is good, you are basically assaulted by the flavor and the aroma. Here, everything is so subtle and yet so powerful. It is like Wagner's Parsifal. The lights will slowly bring you to the heights of spiritual and magical complexity of a really good opera. In this case, the light is the dessert. I gradually fell in love with the macaroni salad and the green salad in mango vinaigrette; and I do not eat salads on buffet (yes, I know what you are thinking, I am one of those people).  

There is a big difference between a movie and an opera. In a movie, your senses are assaulted, but in an opera, you are moved beyond your senses. With other restaurants, even the best ones we have here in the Philippines, you are like in good movies. The Blackboard on the other hand is like Wagner’s opera. The entrée (used here as main course not appetizer) is as powerful as Wagner’s music. No magic tricks here. The food was simply glorious. I especially love the ratatouille and the pasta. How good are they? You just have to try them. Of course if you are one of those people who want quantity over quality, you can just go to Vikings or Yakimix. The experience of course is not the same.


My Friend & I with The Master Chef Michel



Chef Michel is indeed a master. We are lucky to have him here and have us taste his culinary talents. He is one of those rare chefs who do not just prepare tasty food but elevates food into an art form.
 
Let me say that The Blackboard is not for people who want really very flavorful dishes on their plate. Like I said, the food here tickles and caresses – typical French cuisine that is rich but subtle (although they serve more than just French cuisine). 


Now, when it comes to the desserts, I am not really a dessert person. In other words, I am not easily impressed and pleased when it comes to desserts. They all taste the same for me: sweet. Well, not in this case. The dessert table only has five desserts: crème brulee, two types of cheese cakes, pudding and fruits in a glass with syrup. Since I do not like desserts that much, I only had the crème brulee and the cheese cakes. Oh my, the cheese cakes had just about the right flavor to it – not your typical cheese cake at all. They are rich, smooth, not too sweet and a flavor which I really cannot identify. Now, the crème brulee left nothing to be desired. My friend Melissa could not get over it. She probably had six servings. My only regret is that I did not try the pudding. Not very fond of desserts, surprisingly I like pudding. Well, hopefully next time.




 

As for the place itself, I can say that it is dimly lit. Do not worry, the lighting was strategically placed so that you can see the food without problem. The layout, the light, the sound and the décor were designed to make you feel that there is nobody else there but you and the person/s you are dining with.

Comments

Popular Posts