Beyond Camelot (the story) page 4

“All is well, My Queen,” Merlin said with a bow of respect to the woman who despite everything, shall remain his queen. “Your son Harry, he has his father’s head and his mother’s heart. He has in his power to claim what is his birthright and set his people free. It is all in his hands to make it his destiny to be the rightful king, not just by blood but by deeds.”

“Then I can finally rest,” she said and closed her eyes again.

“Yes, rest My Queen. Rest, knowing that the flags of Camelot shall wave again in the entire land, the men shall be eager and proud to serve their king, and the women shall tell their children the stories of their valiant king who saved them from darkness.

Merlin stared at her hoping he of spoke comforting words. She looked so old and frail for someone so young. She was so young to die of natural death, he knew. But he knew too that her king has long been dead and he knew those twenty-five years of living without him and living only with her sin was too long to endure. Perhaps she should have died with him too, he thought.

He was about to leave her side when, for the last time, Guenevere called on him.

“Merlin,” she asked. “Why didn’t you help Arthur then? Why did you let everybody think you were imprisoned by Morgan’s spell? Why did you abandon him?”

“I could have turned Mordred into a toad, the same with the witch Morgana. And then what?” Merlin stated flatly. “Have him be forced to condemn his wife and friend into death? He cannot turn his back on that, else the kingdom will make a mockery of the Round Table, of Camelot and of their King. If only it were as simple as casting a spell.”

“Why did you not warn me instead?” the Queen argued. “You saw the future, our destiny, why did you not do anything to change it?”

“Destiny, My Queen” Merlin explained. “Are nothing but moments in life, like being struck by a lightning, or going blind or even falling in love. Destiny, I can see, but what man does with his destiny is his alone. Not even I can see that, My Queen.

“Arthur was my king but in the end I chose to be his friend.” Merlin ended.

Guenevere nodded and smiled understandingly. Then she said, “You saved my son’s life, Merlin. For that you too had been a good friend to me. Thank you.”

“It is my pleasure and my honor,” Merlin replied.

“Goodbye then, Merlin, my dear friend,” the Queen said weakly. It was obvious that before the night is over, she would say goodbye to her life.

“Goodbye, Your Highness,” Merlin said with a final bow.

(all rights reserved, copyright 2007, Carolyn Vicencio)

Comments

Popular Posts